Cold weather is here, and I know just as well as anyone how hard it is to drag your butt out of bed and get to that 9:00 am class. Yes, it’s chilly, and flannel feel SO much better against your skin than stiff denim, but if you have any self respect at all, you will put on a pair of pants for class.
I was a freshman once, and thought the “uniform” was adorable–you know, the v-neck/Nike shorts/Uggs/hair bow combo. Although I’m no longer a fan of this outfit, it looks 54392 times better than showing up to class in a pair of sweatpants.
Ladies, take pride in how you look! That doesn’t mean spending hours on your hair and make up, or dropping all your money on new clothes either. Really, it’s all in the little things. Instead of rocking a long t-shirt with a pair of leggings for class, swap out the t-shirt for a casual dress. Take 5 extra minutes to wash your face and throw on a headband when you’re running late for class. Lay out a pair of earrings and a necklace by your toothbrush so you remember to slip them on.
Still not convinced? Here’s a few more reasons why you should take a few extra minutes out of your day to look nice:
- You’ll never be fitter, more beautiful, or healthier than you are now! One day after you’ve had kids, you’ll wish that you took advantage of the days when you could look amazing with minimal effort.
- Get the idea out of your head that an interest in fashion is shallow. The smartest women in the world understand the image that they are projecting to the world–think of Michelle Obama, Jackie O, Angelina Jolie, Emma Watson, and Princess Diana.
- It shows respect to your professors. If you’re at a borderline grade, do you think you professor will bump up the girl in PINK sweats and a hoodie half asleep in the back of the class, or the girl who looks alert and prepared for class?
- Studies have shown that it helps you learn! But did we really need scientific evidence to prove that when you feel good about yourself, you’ll excel in other areas too?
- You never know who you’ll run into! What are you going to do if that guy you’ve been crushing on from afar stands in line behind you at Crossroads and you’re in an XL hoodie with greasy hair?
- One day, you’ll have a 9-5 job and be forced to wear business clothes everyday. Exercise your freedom to express yourself now while you can.
This by no means that you have to wear the latest trends or heels and a skirt to class. There are plenty of ways to be comfortable and laid back while still looking presentable. Stumped? Here’s a few ideas to start you off:
This outfit is simple, cozy, and takes just as little effort to throw on as you’re typical leggings/pullover/long t-shirt combo. Keep the leggings but ditch the Columbia, and instead reach for a patterned sweater. Yep, I’ll admit it, I love my Bill Cosby sweaters. They can look really chic if you pair it with a pair of distressed jeans and riding boots too.
Okay, so I know there’s mixed feelings about Twilight on campus, so if you happen to be Team Bella, please ignore the words on the t-shirt. This being said, the 43652 graphic tees that you collect over your tenure at OU can indeed be turned into a hip outfit. Really, it’s all in the accessories. It’s astounding what a beanie, watch, and a little attitude can do to the way you carry yourself.
One last secret for looking presentable on those lazy days–reach for the yoga pants! They’re flattering, as comfortable as any pair of pajamas, and don’t look ridiculous when worn in public. Pull on a slouchy sweater on top, and enhance your look with a headband, scarf, and sweet pair of sneakers. So easy, yet makes a world of difference.