Studies have actually shown that men are subconsciously more attracted to women with fuller hips because it’s a sign of fertility. Remember that next time you want to complain about a pair of pants making you look too “hippy.” Actually, after reading this, there will no longer be a reason to gripe about your body. Pear shaped bodies are womanly and easy to flatter. Stumped on how? Read on.
Fashion Tips for Pear-Shaped Girls
- Wide-leg and flared jeans are your best friends. The volume around your knees and ankles will make your legs look balanced.
- Skinny jeans, although really popular, just don’t look great on you in their purest form. Wear them with a pair of boots or a tunic for the most flattering look.
- Emphasize your bust with a ruffled top, sweetheart neckline, push up bra, or statement necklace.
- Balance out your body by wearing jackets with structured shoulders.
- Cropped jackets can work well too, especially when paired with a longer tunic top and a pair of jeans.
- For business dress, trousers are probably a safer bet than a tight pencil skirt. If you want to wear a skirt, look for A-line cuts and purchase a blazer that stops around the tops of your thighs.
- A-line, empire waist, sheath, and maxi dresses are the most flattering on you. Bubble dresses and anything too short can make you look bottom-heavy. They should be about knee-length. Pair a dress with delicate heels for the most feminine look.
- Avoid chunky, shapeless boots like the plague. Uggs are NOT your friends.
- High-waisted pants are not your friends either. Look for pants with a medium rise and wear them with heels to slim up your legs.
- For a bit of sexy, wear a cropped top and show a sliver of stomach. It’s an easy way to make an outfit perfect for a night on the town (remember less is more!)
Fashion Icons for Pear Shaped Girls
If your style is preppy and classic, Michelle Obama is the perfect fashion icon for you. She mixes affordable lines like J. Crew and the Gap with runway haute couture, and always looks regal while doing so. The way she dresses is always appropriate, conservative, and flattering.
jAllegedly the girl who inspired John Mayer’s “Your Body Is a Wonderland,” Jennifer Love Hewitt is a great example of how petite pear shaped girls should dress (well, minus those swimsuit photos). She wears dresses often, and they always have full skirts and hit around her knees. She has really simple style that’s easy to emulate in everyday life.
Pre-crazy Britney Spears knew how to make her pear shaped body look smokin’ hot. Ignore her Uggs-and-babydoll-dress stage and instead look to her red carpet looks and costumes if you want a little festive inspiration.
Anne Hathaway, especially in the Devil Wears Prada has a wardrobe to die for. I highly recommend checking out this movie if you haven’t seen it yet. In the film, she depends on structured dresses, blazers, and sexy boots as the building blocks of each of her outfits. She’s the perfect fashion muse if your style is glamorous and trendy.